Monday, April 12, 2010

Going Bovine



Going Bovine
Libba Bray
Delacorte Press
2009




After hearing about this title from numerous librarians I finally placed it on hold and started reading it. After reading a number of Young Adult novels in the last few years I was not expecting the harsh, adult tones, ideas, and language that permeated the book. And I loved it! Cameron's sarcastic, apathetic, winsome personality makes me immediately love him and the antics he goes through. Filled with fowl language, dark humor, drug usage, snow globes, and a viking; Going Bovine tells the open road adventure of the decade.

(Plus, I love the author's name. Libba Bray. If you look at the authors name fast, it looks like LIBRARY!)

Winner of 2010 Michael L. Printz Award

Excerpt:
"BSE stands for Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy. Should I tell our studio audience more about it, Jim? Sure, let's tell 'em what I've won. Well, folks, it's a fatal virus that eats holes in your brain, turning it into a sponge. The tying-shoes brain cell? Sorry, this item permanently out of stock. We regret to tell you that your gross motor skills and neurological functioning will no longer be in your control. Here's your econo diaper pack. Watch out for those hallucination, and have a nice day. " (Going Bovine, p 85)




Google Links:
Going Bovine Website

1 comment:

  1. I like your review :D Here's mine if you don't mind: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2013/02/going-bovine-by-libba-bray.html

    Thanks and have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete